(scroll to the bottom for links to other campaign-relevant pages)
Officially, we will use the D&D Rules Cyclopedia for this portion of the campaign. However, I only have two copies (and I treasure the signed one), so some of you may want to create your characters from either of the boxed sets I have (known as the Moldvay or Mentzer Basic D&D sets, depending on which cover it has). For most classes, there is zero difference. Where there is a difference, you may use whichever version is most favorable to you (I think the biggest difference is in thief skill progressions).
Of course, no D&D campaign is complete without house rules:
- No alignment languages.
- Maximum hit points at 1st level.
- Ability scores will be determined by rolling 4d6, drop lowest, place where desired. You may re-roll the character if your total bonuses equal -1 or worse (i.e. add up your bonuses–if they total -1 or worse, you may (but don’t have to) re-roll the character).
- Assume your character starts with a set of middle-class clothing, boots, and a belt.
- In general, encumbrance rules will not be used. But as DM, I reserve the right to conduct an encumbrance audit.
- At 0 hit points, a character falls unconscious. Each round they must make a Constitution check. If they succeed, they stabilize. If they fail, they lose an additional 1 hit point. Death is at -10 hit points or at -CON, whichever number is lower (i.e. CON 15, you die at -15 because -15 is a lower number than -10).
- Elves and Magic-Users begin with three spells in their spell books.
- Use the World of Greyhawk deities if you need to flesh out a cleric character. If you need a listing, please see me or consult the AD&D book Greyhawk Adventures, or the World of Greyhawk Campaign Setting boxed set.
- For those of you interested in a demi-human character, I will allow the use of GAZ5 The Elves of Alfheim, GAZ6 The Dwarves of Rockhome, and GAZ8 The Five Shires.
You can use the character sheets I’ve provided, or download your own from Dragonsfoot.org. I recommend either of the “Classic D&D Character Sheets”.